Yoga is a form of exercise that helps with strength, balance, and flexibility. It has been documented to:
- Improve core strength and balance
- Increase flexibility
- Promote mobility
- Improve mental health and positive feelings
- Increase oxygen intake
- Promote better breathing techniques
- Help reduce stress and the emotional response to stress
- Control weight
Many seniors, however, may not want to or be able to take part in a form of exercise that requires them to lie on a mat on the floor. That is where Chair Yoga can help.
Chair Yoga is a type of yoga that has been modified to allow participants to perform all of the required exercises from a seated position. It allows seniors and those living with disabilities to reap the benefits of yoga without risking their safety.
For older adults, chair yoga brings additional benefits. It also helps with chronic pain and symptom management for health problems including arthritis, depression, coronary artery disease, diabetes, and a variety of autoimmune conditions.
Getting Started with Chair Yoga
If you have been living a fairly sedentary lifestyle, the first thing you should do is check with your primary care physician. Let them know you would like to begin chair yoga and explain what that will entail. Once you gain their approval, there are a few ways you can get started.
- Call your local YMCA or Silver Sneakers program. They may offer a program or know of one in your area.
- If you prefer to exercise in the privacy of your own home, there are a variety of DVDs you can purchase.
We hope this gives you or the senior you love a helpful introduction to Chair Yoga and the health benefits it provides. Contact us for more information about our services to seniors.