Nine Tips for Protecting the Health and Appearance of Your Skin
If you are trying to maintain or improve the health and appearance of your skin, these tips can help:
- Wear Sunscreen All Year: Dermatologists always remind people that sunscreen isn’t only intended for summer. It is important to wear it all year long, including when you are driving in a car. The higher incidence of left-side non-melanoma skin cancers is often attributed to a lack of sunscreen when people are behind the wheel of the car.
- Wear a Hat: When you are outdoors for any length of time, wearing a hat can help shield your face. It helps to protect your skin from the sun’s most damaging rays. A hat can be good for preventing both skin cancer and pre-mature wrinkles.
- Skin Hygiene: Practicing good skin hygiene can also help keep your skin looking healthy and radiant. Always wash your face before going to bed. Use a gentle cleanser and avoid scrubbing too hard on your skin.
- Moisturize: Dry skin can cause problems for older adults and may also contribute to older looking skin. Use a quality moisturizer for your face and body. Applying moisturizer to your skin immediately after showering will yield the best results.
- Eat Healthy: As is true with so many health conditions, a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, fish and olive oil can be extremely beneficial. As can avoiding foods known to cause inflammation in the body such as bakery treats and dairy.
- Stay Active: A sedentary lifestyle also causes inflammation in the body. The bloating and puffiness can make you appear older. Exercising thirty minutes most days of the week can keep toxins from building up and give you a more youthful appearance.
- Limit Alcohol: High alcohol consumption can contribute to poor nutrition or malnutrition as well as dehydration. All of which leave you looking fatigued and older. Limit alcohol to just a glass or two a week.
To learn more about skin health and sunscreen basics, visit the Resource Center at the Skin Care Foundation.
Contact us to learn more about the services that we provide to you and your loved ones.